There have been a lot of major changes in my life over the past year, so I think it’s time to do that thing that everyone always does at the end of November – give thanks.
But these are things I’m thankful for every dang day. Where last year was rough due to family illness, this year has been… well, a year of major changes, with only more to come in the next few months.
- My mother was diagnosed with a second form of breast cancer, but after chemo and radiation treatments (along with a last surgery), she’s all clear and is CANCER FREE!
- My son graduated high school (go Dev!!) Said son has turned 18 and is now going to college (no he doesn’t know what he wants to do, but that’s fair – I’m 40, and I still have no idea what I want to do if I ever bother growing up).
- I got to have several sister playdates with my sis, including getting to see traveling exhibits for Pompeii and King Tut (if you follow me on Instagram, you likely got to see pics of both exhibits!!)
- I took a roadtrip with my friend Jess down to Dallas, and not only did we get to see a Mayan exhibit they have (ghads, I’m a nerd), but ALSO GOT TO SEE SHINEE IN CONCERT!! SQUEE!
- I was given an AMAZING opportunity to not only return to school to work on my MBA, but get to see China as well! I will be landing in China on December 29th, but more to that to come. So I quit my dayjob to return to school full time. It’ll take a couple of years, but long-term, this is an amazing opportunity for me. AND CHINA!
- I’ve finished book 3 and sent it off to the editor (huzzah!). Once I have a better idea of when it will be ready, I’ll let you all know so you can mark your calendars. It may be after I am already in another country, but that’s fine. Don’t worry, I’m already working on book 4.
These are all HUGE events in my life, and have nudged me, slowly, in the direction I am going. It’s been a wonderful year, and I am eternally grateful not only for the big events like these, but also the small, everyday ones. Like:
- Bad jokes
- Reading – books, webcomics, blogs
- Daily walks with my dog
- Random text messages from friends
- Movies with pals
- Driving around, listening to music, looking at houses
- Just talking to those in my life
- Watching the cat crack out
- Watching TV with my son
- Discovering new creatives (webcomics, writers, artsy types)
- Meeting fans (old and new)
- Working with fellow students
- Going to museums
- Meeting new people
- Listening to new songs
- Watching Punisher (yes, it made my list… shaddup)
- Discovering new animes
- Brainstorming with fellow creatives
- Listening to rain
- Dreaming of the future
- My son
- My sister
- My mother
- All of my family – aunts, uncles, grandmothers <3
- My friends
- My followers
- My readers
So much to be grateful for every dang day. Please know that each of you are appreciated, and not just because of that Turkey Day stuff. With all the things happening over the past few years, I’ve learned to embrace the day.
Thank you. All of you.